Thursday 1 October 2015

16. Sheep driving

Coming from Wiltshire, I reckoned there wasn’t much I wanted to know about driving sheep. Having avoided the privilege of driving sheep over London Bridge for several years (as a Freeman’s right to avoid taxes on livestock), I succumbed on 27 September. Dress code was open, so I wore my gardening kit. Plenty of other Masters dressed up with gowns and jewellery. And so I adopted a low profile but I managed my sheep rather well, with a some help from genuine shepherds and docile sheep.

In reserve were half a dozen sheepdogs, sitting, well behaved, and licking their chops(!). Having saved myself sheep tax, I had to pay for the privilege. The drive was organised by the Woolmen, assisted by the Society of Young Freemen and the Mamont Foundation. My thanks go to them for a busy afternoon. It’s a strange thing to want to do but, in reality, very enjoyable. Some people even brought their own sheep (the Master Plumber, for example).
Being properly dressed is everything. Here I am (in the raincoat and explorer’s hat) giving advice about the best way to shift them over the Bridge.

It ended well, and raised a lot of money for the Lord Mayor’s Charity Appeal and the Woolmen’s Charitable Trust. It was reported that over 800 Freemen of the City exercised their rights, including Barbara Windsor.


No comments:

Post a Comment